Decatur First United Methodist Church EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES
Supervise and coordinate safe and loving childcare environment for the Decatur First United Methodist Church nursery which cares for children (members, visitors and community members) ages infant through 5 years of age primarily on Sunday mornings and Wednesday evenings. Be a first point of contact for nursery workers in terms of scheduling, room set up and following nursery and safety procedures. This is a part-time hourly position (approximately 10 hours per week) with no benefits. The hours may increase during the time leading up to special events such as Vacation Bible School. This position reports to and is supported by the Director of Children’s Ministries.
Essential Job Duties
- Work on Sundays approximately 7:30am – 12:30pm.
- Set up for Wednesday evening nurseries. Sometimes nursery supervisor may be required to work a full shift on Wednesday evenings and cover/set-up for occasional special nurseries (meetings or special events).
- Additional duties can be completed at flexible times during the week.
- Coordinate Vacation Bible School (VBS) nursery in June.
- Be present and set up for special nurseries on Christmas Eve and Easter (special pay provided on those days).
- Create the nursery schedule for all nursery staff on a monthly basis and coordinate special nurseries as needed.
- Communicate with and maintain up-to-date contact information for nursery staff.
- Prepare weekly nursery payroll, working closely to provide proper documentation to financial staff.
- Train nursery staff to follow nursery and safe sanctuary policies.
- Coach, support, intervene or discipline, if necessary, nursery staff (with support of Children’s Ministries Director) if proper procedures are not being followed.
- Assist with the hiring of new nursery staff members.
- Monitor nursery supplies and order new supplies when needed.
- Ensure childcare rooms are set up and broken down before and after each scheduled shift, enlisting nursery staff to complete set-up and break-down duties as needed.
- Make sure nursery workers have arrived for each shift and be prepared to cover if there is a shortage of workers.
- Greet and welcome families and children when they come to the nursery. Answer any questions and guide members and visitors to correct classroom locations.
- Encourage and be supportive of volunteers who may be assisting in the nursery.
Two years or more experience working with children in a childcare or classroom setting. Supervisory experience a plus. Ability to complete light administrative duties using Excel, Word or other general computer applications. Participate in staff trainings or meetings as schedule allows. Problem-solving or troubleshooting abilities. Cheerful and welcoming attitude. Ability to love and accept all children and families who come to the nursery. Good organizational skills. Good people skills. Familiarity with child safety standards in a childcare or school setting. A love for the mission of the church and for all God’s children.
part-time nursery worker
hourly; no healthcare or
paid time off available
Essential Job Duties
- Responsible to make sure rooms are set up and broken down by the start and close of each nursery shift
- Responsible for communicating to Nursery Supervisor or Director of Children’s Ministries any issues (injuries, incidences, repair requests) that may arise during the course of a nursery shift
- Work at least 3 Sundays per month
- Supervise the distribution of snacks
- Demonstrate reliability
- Ensure children are loved and cared for by meeting their needs and ensuring their safety while in the nursery
- Safely transfer children from one room to the next as needed
- Interact with children, parents and volunteers in a caring and cheerful manner and redirect/resolve any disputes between children
- Complete and keep current CPR and First Aid certification.
- Follow guidelines laid out in the “Nursery Policies and Procedures” document provided upon employment.
- Follow safe sanctuaries guidelines (copy provided upon employment).